Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Archi-Ted-ture: Beaver St. Masonic Hall

Did you ever have the feeling that no matter how great your were as a kid you could never measure up to the sibling who was your parents favorite? That must be how the building at 15 and 17 North Beaver St in the Market District must feel.

I often wonder if anyone even notices this 150 year old masterpiece with the jewel of York city's architecture right next door. I mean, how are you supposed to pay attention to the amazing façade of York's original Masonic Temple when there are three stories of wrap around porches on the National House right next door. Well I don't play favorites and I have noticed how amazing the old Masonic Hall is.

Built during the Civil War this Gothic Revival masterpiece sports dual entrances on either side of a bay window on the ground floor. The windows on the second and third floors are arched in a church like style. I also enjoy the ornate brickwork along the roofline and between the second and third stories. But my favorite little feature of this building is the way #17 has one more step than #15 to account for the very small slope in Beaver street.

I would guess than many of you who frequent the Market District have walked passed this grand old building hundreds of times without paying it much attention. I hope the next time you are in area you take a second to study it in person. It's the one midway between The Holy Hound and Central Market.

No comments:

Post a Comment