Monday, September 16, 2013

Bee Eye Why See: BLT

Maewyn's Gourmet B.L.T.
Next up on my list of the Best in York City is the quintessential sandwich: Bacon Lettuce & Tomato. The B.L.T. is just about the most perfectly balanced sandwich in the world, and usually it is at its best when it is at its simplest. But my choice for the best B.L.T. in York is far from simple and that is what make Maewyn's Gourmet B.L.T. so great.

Obviously the star of any B.L.T. is the B and that is no exception at Maewyn's where they use thick cut bacon that they cure on the premises. You'd almost have to call the bacon candied since it has a sweet sticky cure on it that really works perfectly with the bacon's natural smokiness. If all the sandwich had on it was this bacon with some lettuce and tomato it would be amazing, but, like I said this sandwich isn't so simple.

What takes this B.L.T. to the next level is the one part I had them hold the first time I ordered it: cheese. So I guess its more like a B.L.T.C. after all. They use a combo of Boursin and Cooper cheese that is really soft and velvety when it gets warmed up. While my arteries will hate to hear this but there is almost nothing like mayo and bacon getting together with soft creamy cheese. I really need to get back to eating bamboo for a while!

So if you're looking for a good option for lunch, brunch, dinner or late night eats to go with a few beers make your way to N. George St. and be sure to wear a little green!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment