Thursday, August 15, 2013

Bear Market: Good's Mini Donuts



A bakers dozen of Goods Mini donuts with a cup of Nutella glaze
This is the first of my weekly posts that will focus on one of the vendors in York’s Central Market. The market has been open for over 125 years in the same location and features a host of vendors selling everything from crafts to food. Since the market is just down the alley from our new pad I thought I’d get over there and try out some of what they have to offer and report on it to you here on the blog.

Today I am focusing on Good’s Mini Donuts which is one of the market’s newer vendors. It sits right inside the Beaver St. entrance on the market’s west side. It’s a no frills stand with a heavy focus on the star of the show: their Mini Donuts. Part of the enjoyment of the place is the way the donuts are made right in front of you while you wait. After you order a nozzle,  kind of like that old Playdough Fun Factory, extrudes batter right into small canal of hot oil. The donuts travel down the hot oil canal where they are flipped  by an automated gate to ensure they cook on both sides. One of the friendly guys behind the counter then scoops them out of the oil and puts them in a small sleeve where they can be tossed in powdered sugar or a cinnamon & sugar mix.

I opted for the cinnamon and sugar which sounded good all on its own, but then their list of special glazes caught my eye and I added a cup of Nutella glaze to my order. A baker’s dozen of the little donuts and the glaze set me back just over three bucks, but once I tried them I realized it was well worth it. Since the donuts are hot the cinnamon and sugar really sticks to them well ensuring a good coating. The only thing better than a freshly made donut is a freshly made donut dunked in this amazing Nutella glaze. It would work as breakfast or desert and just about anywhere in between.

I’m sure the glaze selection is meant for plain donuts but I really enjoyed the cinnamon & sugar mixed with the Nutella. I don’t know how well it would go with powdered sugar but I’m willing to try some other combinations. My ratings system is a bit limited since I don’t have any thumbs, but I give Good’s Mini Donuts both 3 ½ paws out of 4. If you try them I’m sure you’ll enjoy them as much as I did.

 
A mini donut floating in Nutella Glaze

1 comment: