Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Bear Market: Mezzogiorno

The #9 Sub: Capricol, Salami & Provolone
Another market day and another Teddy "Bear Market" watch. If you live in or around York and don't go to Market on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays you are doing yourself a great disservice. It's only been a few weeks since Anthony moved us downtown but I haven't missed a market day yet.

This week I visited Mezzogiorno and I was apprehensive to say the least. While I may be a tiny stuffed panda teddy bear I was taken in by household with heavy Italian influences. Some of my earliest memories are of Anthony's dad making subs for us with excellent salami and provolone. So now whenever I go to an Italian place this sub is my touchstone to see how good they are. If the salami and provolone isn't good chances are nothing else is.

I'm happy to say that this sub was fantastic. Good quality meat and cheese on a great roll with excellent toppings. In short: everything you can ask for out of a sub. I also sampled a #11 with turkey and provolone and that was also great. I see why the Mezzogoiorno is one of the most popular places at the market. The lunch menu includes hot & cold subs, paninis, soups, salads and pasta.

Unlike some other stands that are only open on market days, Mezzogoiorno is open Tuesday  through Saturday for breakfast and lunch. It is popular with all the usual market like jurors and the work a day set. It's just a shame that they aren't open for dinner.

I give Mezzogiorno all four paws and I highly recommend that you check them out. Tell them a little adopted Italian-American teddy bear sent you.

1 comment: