Saturday, October 26, 2013

Bee Eye Why See: BBQ

Two Meat Platter: Ribs & burnt Ends with baked & green beans
I can't believe it has taken me this long to do my "Best In York City" post about BBQ. The York City establishment that Heidi, Anthony and I have frequented most over the last four years also happens to be the best BBQ place in all of Central PA, let alone York. When Lou Smith got laid off from the York Harley Davidson factory he and his partners Erika & Jim started selling southern style Bar-B-Que around town. They did well enough that they were soon able to open a storefront on West Princess St. and Big Lou's BBQ was born.

Brisket Platter with green beans & baked beans
One of the best complements I can pay this restaurant is that I have no favorite item there; every thing they make is awesome. They feature all the classics of southern style que: brisket, ribs, burnt ends, chicken wings and pulled pork and they are all top notch. I can only eat them one at a time (like the brisket platter you see on the left) but Anthony gets two or three meats at a time. His favorite combo to get is what he calls "The whole Farm Yard" with pulled pork, burnt ends and chicken wings. You can also get the brisket and pulled pork on a sandwich which makes an excellent lunch.

We often eat at Lou's for lunch and when we get platters we invariably end up skipping dinner all together that night. To say that Lou's generous portions fill you up is an understatement. And it's not just the main courses that keep us coming back time and again; the side dishes are worth eating all on their own. Save for the top notch Mac & Cheese and the coleslaw just about all of them have meat in them. The baked beans have ground beef  and the green beans have pork and they all have boundless flavor.

I could go on and on about this place, but suffice it to say I give them my highest review: Four Paws. You really shouldn't just take my word for it, you should head down to Lou's and forget that you've every been to a BBQ chain restraint. There's no need to thank me.

No comments:

Post a Comment