Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Bee Eye Why See: Mac & Cheese

 
When winter comes there are a few specific dishes that I reach for that warm me up both physically and mentally. One of my biggest comfort foods is macaroni and cheese and my bar is set quite high. I was lucky to land in Anthony's house for many reasons. Not only is he the kind of guy who keeps his teddy bear around for his whole life, but his folks could both really cook. Susan made awesome mac & cheese and the only box to be found was the box the noodles came in. And the cheese came in solid form not squeezed out of a pouch. None of that blue boxed crap for us.

With my storied mac & cheese history in mind let me say that not only is the Varsity Smoke Shack's version is easily the best in York City and some of the best you'll ever have. Their particular version is not a casserole style, so if that's what your into I beg you to have an open mind. The baked variety is also great, but this is a frying pan base preparation utilizing a béchamel based sauces. It is made toorder so it always arrives piping hot and bursting with flavor.

On a cold winter's day it makes the perfect side to one of Varsity's awesome sandwiches that I blogged about last month. While its on the menu as a side, two of them would serve to be a filling and satisfying meal all on its own. One of these days I'm going to get them to cut up a few strips of bacon in it and the result may make me weep. But it is the best mac & cheese you'll have in York all on its own and you should run and get some ASAP!



No comments:

Post a Comment