Sunday, November 17, 2013

Bee Eye Why See: Pizza

I've been putting off writing this blog post for too long now. My Bee Eye Why See (B.I.Y.C. = Best In York City) series covers my favorite food items in all of the big categories. Can there be a bigger category than pizza? But here's the rub, I grew up in New Jersey, and Anthony worked in a Jersy pizza parlor when we were younger.

To say that my threshold for good pizza is high would be a massive understatement.

So I haven't really been rushing to write this post, because I really don't like eating at most of the pizza places in the area. The one that I really enjoy the most is just a few steps over the York City boarder in Spring Garden Twp near York College. Parma Pizza sits right in the middle of the main and west campuses of the College and has been slinging pizza, wings and subs for years.
Their pizza is as close to the Jersey style pie I grew up with this side of the Susquehanna.

Pizza comes down to the perfect balance of sauce, crust and cheese. If the sauces is too sweet it ruins the pizza. If it's too much like marinara it ruins the pizza, and some times it tastes like straight tomato paste and it ruins your whole day. When it comes to the cheese it's quite simple: a 50/50 mix of whole milk and part skim mozzarella gives just the right texture with out being too greasy. As for the crust all the difference can be made by hand tossing the dough so it is uniformly thin all the way around.

Parma gets close enough to hitting the mark on each point and puts out one hell of a good slice of pizza. They aren't in the city proper but they are just a few feet away so I count them as the Best In York City right now. They are totally worth the walk down the rail trail for me.   

No comments:

Post a Comment